Thursday, February 10, 2011

Baby's Hair Care Products

Okay so as many of you know I am slightly obsessed with my baby boys hair. Who would have thought that I'd be so worried about a little man's head of hair! I was really worried that we'd have a girl and I wouldn't know what to do with her head of hair but our little man surprised us when he was born with a full head of hair!! I of course started researching hair care lines and trying to find a good natural baby line and let me tell you that was no easy task! There really are not many baby lines other than like the store brands and I really didn't want to try that stuff since its so drying and not natural.

After many many searches I found this website Curls and they have a baby line with a tear free shampoo called It's A Curl . I was so stinking excited to find this line so of course I had to try it all and ordered all four products from the line. I will say that I'm not crazy about about all the products, I LOVE the Peek-A-Boo Organic Shampoo. It is an all natural, sulfate free, tear free shampoo and does a great job for what I need it to do. The conditioner didn't have enough slip for what I was looking for and is way too expensive for the tiny bottle to cowash with so it probably will not be purchased again in the future. The leave in conditioner I'm not crazy about either. It just wasn't moisturizing enough for our purpose and will not be used again in the future as well. The last product is the Itsy Bitsy Spirals Organic Curl moisturizer  and I kinda like this product. It is a great curl reviver for like second day hair. Its a bit pricey for the tiny bottle since you can do the same with a little water and a leave in. I'm not sure if I'll buy this again but I will def be getting the shampoo again! Although this line didn't work great for my baby boys hair doesn't mean it won't be fantastic for another hair type. I would def suggest it to others as an option.

I have also been given a couple different products that you can find in the store. I'm not crazy about them since I prefer the more natural, organic stuff for my little man's hair but I always welcome new free products so of course I tried them! The first I got from a really good friend (people we consider family) and I actually don't mind this product at all. It does have a scent that I'm not crazy about but for the price the product is great and can be used daily Lustrasilk Right On Curl Activator Moisturizer and its actually cheaper in the store, but this is my go to product while I'm waiting on stuff in the mail. The others are a spray and hair dress from soft and precious. I wasn't crazy about the hair dress, its almost like a lotion and just not my cup of tea, but I love the spray. I'd share links but I can't find them! But this can easily be picked up at your local BX or drug store and its reasonably priced and maid specifically for the little ones. These smell clean and powdery fresh but unfortunately this stuff didn't agree with my little man and made his neck break out in a rash, so we will not be using this again. But for those on a budget and whose baby doesn't have sensitive skin go for it!

The newest stuff we're using and so far my favorite is from Darcy's Botanicals (she also has an Etsy Store and sometimes you can find stuff in stock on there that isn't in stock on the website!) and I ordered quite a few things when they had their black Friday sale and everything was 25% which doesn't happen often with her products! The products I bought were:
Organic Coconut & Aloe Moisture Pudding
Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner
Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme
Coconut Cupuacu Butter Natural Hair Pomade
Natural Coils Curling Jelly
We have tried almost all of them. The only one that hasn't been used is the pomade because I got it so we could braid his hair which I don't know how to do yet, but boy oh boy does it smell good and I can't wait to use it! I ended up sharing the pumpkin seed conditioner with a friend since I knew there was no way we'd use both leave ins before they went bad. Plus its a bit too girly smelling for my little man and too thick for my hair. We kept the lemon grass one which works amazingly in his hair with either the moisture pudding or the curling jelly on top. This this the firs time I've used products like those so I can't compare them to anything but I will tell you that my boys hair looks amazing! I get compliments all the time and his hair is super moisturized between cowashing and using these products! I don't even have to oil his scalp because his natural oils are enough and I'm not stripping his hair or drying out his scalp! I am honestly pretty proud of how soft and beautiful his hair is coming about! I would highly recommend her products to anyone!!

If you have favorites please share! I'd love to try new things out for my hair or his! I'm a bit of a product junky now!!

1 comments:

Sara J. said...

Thank you for writing this review on the hair products. I ordered from darcy's today and I'm looking forward to using the products on our 8 year and 4 month old boys!